Peruse the menu of almost any restaurant these days and you’ll find a listing of miniature desserts known as dessert shooters. Dessert shooters offer just the right light finishing touch to a full meal. These mini desserts are served in small glasses (frequently shot glasses) and are offered as either single delectable treats or as a set. Making dessert shooters at home couldn’t be easier as, by their very nature, they’re meant to be simple. Your guests will love the choices provided and the fact that their sweet tooth can be satisfied for a fraction of the calories of a full-blown dessert.
Learning how to make dessert shooters is very easy, and the variety you provide to your guests is limited only by your imagination. The below article will walk you through creating two very special dessert shooters so you get the idea. Beware though – once you start making dessert shooters, you’ll want to make more.
To make a delicious Tiramisu desert shooter, you will need:
- 2 ladyfinger cookies
- 4 tablespoons vanilla custard
- 1 ounce of Kahlua
- Dashes of good quality cocoa
- Freshly whipped cream
- 1 coffee bean
- Soak the ladyfinger cookies in the Kahlua for at least ten minutes.
- Place one-half of a ladyfinger in the bottom of a small glass.
- Add a layer of vanilla custard and dust the layer with cocoa.
- Add another layer of ladyfingers, vanilla custard and cocoa.
- Top with a bit of freshly whipped cream. Place the coffee bean on top and add a splash of Kahlua.
To make a Strawberry Shortcake dessert shooter, you will need:
- 1 sponge cake round (find these in your grocer’s produce aisle by the strawberries)
- 3 ripe strawberries
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Freshly whipped cream
- 1 mint leaf
- Wash and dry the strawberries. Remove the stems and cut the strawberries in half.
- Place the strawberries in a bowl and toss with the sugar. Let rest ten minutes to allow the strawberries to produce their own juice.
- Tear the sponge cake round in small pieces and place half of the cake in the bottom of a small glass.
- Add in half of the strawberries and sugar. Top with a layer of whipped cream.
- Add another layer of sponge cake round, strawberries and whipped cream.
- Add the mint leaf to the top of your Strawberry Shortcake dessert shooter as a garnish.
The above two dessert shooters are among the simplest to make. Present these fabulous miniature desserts to your guests on a pretty silver tray alongside small cups of espresso or with cups of rich coffee and allow them to choose their favorite.